Mary founded the STUDIO in 1988 after working at a boutique design company and as Director at the Publications/Marketing Department of The Brooklyn Museum. Starting her own studio allowed her to fulfill her true calling: nurturing talent and helping it grow by creating a space where artists feel empowered to express their creative spirit.
As a leader in her industry, Mary is often called upon to speak about and judge creative work in branding, advertising and design. She has served as a judge for:
- AICP creative awards (5 consecutive years)
- ADCOLOR Ad of the Year awards (3 consecutive years)
- Creative Awards Category at ADCOLOR
- AAF Mosaic Awards (2 years)
Mary has served as a Panelist for:
- American Advertising Federation Diversity Panels, where she also produced two diversity webinars for the AAF as a thought leader.
- Digital Diversity Network on the topic of animation during Advertising Week
- Art of Creativity Awards, which recognized advertising as its own art form – judged by international museum and cinematic curators.
She was also honored to be able to represent the New York Digital Arts Community in an Eyes on New York segment at the FMX Animation Festival, Stuttgart, Germany.
Additional Awards and Honors:
• In 2016, the Pro bono STUDIO-produced animated short, Scarlett, was acknowledged by the ACA in the Storytelling Category. Multi-million dollar projects produced by major brands and ad agencies competed side-by-side with Scarlett, which was conceived entirely by the 20 person staff of the STUDIO.
- Received the first ever Women in Animation Award from ASIFA, 2015.
- Smart CEO BRAVA Award for woman entrepreneurs, 2014.
- Presidents’ Award from The WPO (Women’s Presidents Organization), 2013.
- National Minority Business Council’s Woman Entrepreneur of the Year Award, 2012.
- 2011 NMBC Women Entrepreneur of the Year • 2011 Women Enterprises Business of the Year
Mary is a graduate of NYU and has received certificates from WBENC/Tuck Institute at Dartmouth, Columbia University’s CCB Program and The Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment Program at NYU. Mary is also a passionate photographer, gardener and mother to two amazing daughters.